Wednesday, August 1, 2012

New Foodstuffs: Edamame Hummus, Oatmeal Medleys, and Chia Seeds, Oh my!

Hi again!

I've gotten particularly bad about spontaneous food purchases lately, so here are my latest (delicious) spoils :)

Edamame Hummus!


I've always loved edamame-plain or otherwise, and this hummus did not disappoint! The taste was definitely different than normal hummus at first, but I nearly finished off the whole thing in one sitting because it was so addictive (the bag of pita chips didn't help either).

Quaker Oatmeal Medleys!


I know, I know.  Oatmeal isn't exactly the most exotic breakfast food, but I haven't had any in a REALLY long time.  My dad makes a batch every Saturday morning and it's more solid than liquid and he puts in.....raisins (not my favorite).  So when we were shopping at Target and they had some Quaker Real Medley cups on sale, peach and almond oatmeal sounded like it would hit the spot.  And it did! It made a fantastic post-run snack and the almond and peach bits made the perfect additions.  You can bet that I'm now looking for ways to incorporate oatmeal into my breakfast repertoire.  Anyone have any ideas? I won't have easy access to a stove in my dorm at Cal Poly, and we're not allowed to have a microwave in our room.

Chia Seeds!


These little beauties are wonderful for adding some extra omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and protein to whatever you're already eating! I didn't really know what to expect with them and they're funny things-if they sit in anything with moisture, they gel up on the outside.  Bizarre, but I've been enjoying them in greek yogurt and plan to try them in other foods like in peanut butter on toast or maybe in a smoothie. The seeds don't have any flavor so they can be added to almost anything-there are SO MANY recipes on the internet for inspiration.  They can even be made into pudding for dessert! Soon... ;)

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm the only person in the world that never tried Hummus...I mean...I actually thought it was something weird and it turns out it's plain vegetables!! I totally gotta try it out...but I'm such a chicken xD

    xoRosie
    http://teacupsanddresses.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie! Yeah definitely start out with regular hummus. My stomach usually doesn't do so well with crazy exotic foods and hummus is pretty much one of the tamest things to try. I love it as a healthy replacement for other dips like ranch and the usual lol.

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete